A tale of getting https://grafana.net/dashboards/878 to work...
Firs, I need to install python:
The Change a bit in the Script from https://github.com/trevorndodds/elasticsearch-metrics/blob/master/Grafana/elasticsearch2elastic.py, so the header was:
And finally this script is running - notice this in not by cron, its constantly running:
After this, the dashboard was pretty full of read exclamations signs, and the article at https://grafana.net/dashboards/878 states:
- Tested this with Elasticsearch 2.4.X & 5.1.X
- On 5.X you will have to change the template to use cluster_name.keyword unless you set cluster_name to not_analyzed
Well, I decided to Change the Clustername variable (found under the cog - Templating:
Here, "cluster_name" is changed to "cluster_name.keyword"
Do the same for "name" to "name.keyword"
This improved the Dashboard a lot:
But in several places, the red exclamation sign is still telling us that there is a problem, like:
So we need to change the field - documented in https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/5.0/fielddata.html
I ran this in Kibana's Dev Console for the status field (not the request as the screenshot shows):
giving us a lot of fixed rows:
Fixing the CPU, CPU Instance, Memory etc (if they are empty). The problem here (also) seems to be that "name" is not field-data enabled. The best way is to make if field-data enabled. In Kinana Dev Console:
Alternatively, Change all panels; change Group by clause from "name" to "name.keyword" :
Well - I first used the first part - changing the field to fielddata: true, and the next morning this was a fact:
Should have looked as this (with name replaced with name.keyword):
No clue why the change kind of stopped at 01:00.
Read about the Elasticsearch 5.0 changes to strings her: https://www.elastic.co/blog/strings-are-dead-long-live-strings